We have some of the best medical care in all of Mexico right here in Puerto Vallarta

Y Tu Corazón

We have some of the best medical care in all of Mexico right here in Puerto Vallarta. How lucky we are to have doctors willing to give up their time to meet with us and share their knowledge, thoughts, and tips for better living.

February is Heart Month all over the world. It’s not just about silly cards, candies, roses and red wine. Although, all those things can be good for the heart, given proper measure!

Take care of your heart! You will need it your whole life! I’ve given you a few ideas of things you can do that will make a difference in your health and help you live longer.

If you smoke, quit now. Yes, it’s hard as anyone who has done it knows. Smoking is your own slow ticking suicide bomb. There are people who smoked all their lives (George Burns always had a cigar in his hand) but you’re making a big mistake if you use them as an example.

Manage your blood cholesterol. If it’s high, get your doctor to prescribe a statin. There are also other ways to reduce your blood cholesterol; choose healthier fats and foods. Eat plenty of soluble fiber oat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas. And lots of fruits and vegetables (so easy to do here in Puerto Vallarta.) Omega-3 fatty acids are essential to a good heart-health diet and here in Puerto Vallarta, we have fresh fish, making that choice a simple one! Omega-3 comes in gel tablet form, too and we suggest supplementing, since we aren’t always eating fish. Limit your salt and alcohol. Have a limonada on the beach, instead of a margarita!

It’s not hard to be physically active in Puerto Vallarta. Most places have pools, there are walking groups and we have some great hiking trails. Biking is getting more popular all the time, and it’s a lot safer than it was when we originally moved here.

Keep your weight in check. We go by a 80/20 diet. For 80% of the week, we eat very healthy and the remaining 20%, we allow ourselves a few drinks, fatty foods and sweets. Once you get in the habit of the 80%, the 20% is a lot easier.

Be aware of your blood pressure. Get a cuff to check it at home. It’s so simple and can be a life saver, literally. Let your doctor know if it gets out of the green range and into the yellow (that’s how it’s marked on your home-kit.)

Lastly, look after your mental health. If there are stresses in your life, it’s time to find a way to eliminate them. If you’re living in paradise, you want to take complete advantage.  Don’t be afraid to talk to your doctor about anxieties.

On February 18, at 9 am, attend the Health Care Resource PV event, at Hospital San Javier Marina where Dr. Carlos Hernandez, a cardiologist internist in Puerto Vallarta will be speaking about atrial fibrillation and answer questions about heart matters. Let them know you’re coming as space is limited. pamela@healthcareresourcespv.com

Que es cómo es

More to explorer

Yoga in Puerto Vallarta

Yoga in Puerto Vallarta Yoga has become very popular in the United States, Canada and Mexico. This continent may love its variety of food, spices

Sea Turtles in Puerto Vallarta

Sea Turtles June to December The season for baby turtle release is coming to an end in Puerto Vallarta. If you haven’t had the opportunity,

Want to help the community?

Blood Donations in Puerto Vallarta It’s time to talk about donating blood again. We try to go over this subject occasionally to update those unfamiliar

We have some of the best medical care in all of Mexico right here in Puerto Vallarta

Villa Kismet Calendar

[ics_calendar id="2850"]